Welcome to the my blog. My name is Lucy Farfort i'm a freelance illustrator & designer maker. This is where you can find out what i've been up to of late, read my attempts at a decent post & the rantings of a visual addict. Hope you like it. You can contact me to say 'hi' by email on lucy@lucyshappyplace.com
If you would like to take a look at my work (& i would very much like you to) please visit my site:
lucyshappyplace.com

Friday 9 September 2011

Folksy Friday - Harvest Time

This year has gone so incredibly fast, i blinked and missed most of it. Its Autumn already?!
Well this means it will soon be Harvest Festival time. I'm not exactly sure what that means, except for when i was at primary school, all the kids had to bring in tins of food to be put into a giant decorated box destined for a third world country. The box was usually filled with the tins of string beans gathering dust from the back of several mother's kitchen cupboards. Looking at it now it seems pretty harsh that people generally donated their most unwanted tins of food, when it was going to be sent to a starving child. I guess it all counts.

**Actually harvest festival is is an annual celebration which occurs around the time of the main harvest of the region. Harvest is from the Anglo-Saxon word haverfest, "Autumn". It then came to refer to the season for reaping and gathering grain and other grown products.
Harvest festivals are traditionally held on or near the Sunday of the Harvest Moon, the full Moon that occurs closest to the autumn equinox.**
I don't really know if this information is accurate, as i'll be honest i got it from Wikipedia and we all know what thats like for reliability

1. An absolutely fab and functional present for someone with an allotment is this set of 5 veg tags. A great little idea from Krafts4Kenya:

Large image

2. Perfect for the theme today is this very cute 'Acorn Harvest' illustration, by Lucy Consolo. She has some lovely work in her shop, go see.

Large image

3. take a peek at this gorgeous Autumn leaf brooch from the 'By Sally' shop. Love the colours

Large image

4. Wow these little fellas are awesome. A needle felted pumpkin bowl with lid, so creative and cute to boot!
Large image

5. These veggie moustache greeting cards available from 'Kikichoo' made me laugh. Anything with a moustache is okay by me ^__^

Large image

6. I found this really beautiful poppy bangle at the Cassiopi shop. I choose it because of the lovely autumnal colours:

http://d200fahol9mbkt.cloudfront.net/item/15349433/summer-poppies.jpg

7. The detail in this teeny weeny vegetable basket is incredible. Grandma's Miniature Market is really a feast for the eyes. Makes me want to start growing my own veg, although i don't think my 8ftx 8ft back yard would agree.

Large image

8. The final pic of today is this lovely autumn art print from LauriePunzzle Land. Love her style and the pattern element in her art work:

Large image

I just wish we could trade in some winter months for some more Autumn months so i can enjoy those beautiful warm colours for a bit longer.
Byeeeee!!

5 comments:

  1. Very seasonal! I love the leaf and the pumpkin pots are just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely selection, i've featured from some of these shops myself :) The pumpkins are adorable!


    Leanne x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely selection - looking out my window onto a very autumnal garden, so this collection is perfect! Thank you so much for including my pumpkin pots :)
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww the little vegetable basket is SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those felted Pumpkins are a delight!

    ReplyDelete