Welcome to the my blog. My name is Lucy Farfort i'm a freelance illustrator & designer maker. This is where you can find out what i've been up to of late, read my attempts at a decent post & the rantings of a visual addict. Hope you like it. You can contact me to say 'hi' by email on lucy@lucyshappyplace.com
If you would like to take a look at my work (& i would very much like you to) please visit my site:
lucyshappyplace.com

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Confessions of a self-doubting artist (with a happy ending :)


Okay so you may have noticed it all went a bit quiet last week on here. This was down to a mad rush to get work finished for the Babes In The Woods exhibition starting on Friday, which I’m now pleased to say is complete. Just in the nick of time – phew!
I was having one of those moments when it just didn’t feel like the work was coming together. Occasionally when working on a new illustration I'll encounter this. The initial idea in my head when first put to paper is all good. Then about ½ way through the process, when on the computer, it just all starts to go a bit pear-shaped in that it doesn't feel right or quite fit somehow with my original plan.

This isn't always a major issue as sometimes I can identify whatever the gremlin is that’s making it not work, but other times it’s a mystery so I'll keep trying different things until it clicks. I could never show a piece of work without being 100% happy with it, so when this happens its always a worry that the image won't come together. I imagine part of this stems from self-doubt (an inherited trait) & once that creeps in its difficult to think positively about that piece again.
Wow I really hope I’m not the only person who experiences these issues.

Thankfully the doubts were worked through and I can now genuinely say i'm really pleased the results. Yay!! Would love to be able to post them here now but can’t until after the exhibition preview on Thursday. In the meantime heres a peek:





 
To celebrate the completion of the two new illustrations 'Hidden Forest' and 'Our Favourite Place' and my involvement in the exhibition I’m going to offer free postage on all UK purchases over £5.00 in my Etsy and Folksy shops for a week from Monday 29th Oct – 5th Nov, so keep your eyes peeled for that.

Well I’ll be off now as I’ve got some framing to do!
Oh don’t forget if you’re in Newcastle the exhibition runs from the 19th Oct – 17th Nov with the preview on the 18th (Thursday night), so please pop along and have a gander.

No comments:

Post a Comment